Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Importance/difference between having and being.

Erich Fromm , “To Have or To Be.”

Flower in a crannied wall,
I pluck you out of the crannies,
I hold you there, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower-but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all,
I should know what God and man is.
(Tennyson, English poet)

When I look carefully
I see the nazuna blooming
By the hedge!
(Basho, Japanese poet)

I walked in the woods
All by myself,
To seek nothing,
That was on my mind.

I saw in the shade
A little flower stand,
Bright like the stars
Like beautiful eyes.

I wanted to pluck it,
But it said sweetly:
Is it to wilt
That I must be broken?

I took it out
With all its roots,
Carried it to the garden
At the pretty house.

And planted it again
In a quiet place;
Now it ever spreads
And blossoms forth.
(“Found,” Goethe)
Ero.

No comments: